Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Shangri-Las - "Give Him A Great Big Kiss"


SC: I have decided that "Give Him A Great Big Kiss" is one of the greatest songs of all time.
AK: Yeah, man. Shadow Morton strikes again. The spoken word is killer, especially on that live version.
SC: I wish I were a girl only to be able to perform that song.
AK: Yeah, I can understand that. I'd be content with playing accompaniment, provided I could hang out with Mary Weiss backstage. I like the "sha-la-la-las" in the verse, too.
SC: Yeah, the rest of the shangri-las were pretty essential.
AK: Yeah, man. The twins did great harmonies. And Betty was their original lead singer.
SC: Why did they stop??
AK: I have tried really hard to figure it out. No one really knows. Litigation. They quit while they were ahead. Some weird legal mess happened. That was probably partially caused by the crappy contract Mary and Betty's mother originally signed
since they were minors.
SC: They accomplished quite a lot though.
AK: Yeah, totally. Most badass girl group ever.
SC: Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment